11/26/2011

Day 21--Delphos to Upper Sandusky, OH

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lots of pix today, so I'll make the narrative as short as possible.

I had two route options today and decided to take the shortest--OH-30E, a four-lane divided highway with cross streets. Got to the entrance, a mere half mile from the motel, and found that this portion of OH-30E did not allow bicycle traffic. I returned to the motel to use the computer to print my second option, but all in the lobby directed me to ride Historic Lincoln Bypass (old route 30 and the road at the end of the motel drive) all the way to Upper Sandusky. This I did and was very glad that my first choice was thwarted. I enjoyed a wonderful day on the road.



I'd gotten into a bad frame of mind, thinking only of the miles I had to cover and my destination. I was dismissing the best part--the day's ride! So today I told myself not to worry about when I got in. I had all day and I was going to enjoy the ride . . . despite another 5-15 mph headwind.


Enlarge this if you can, and read; explains that the Lincoln Hwy was America's first transcontinental auto route. 
Wildlife report for the day:
--When crossing the new bridge described in the photo above, I found a road-killed fox kit. It was a red fox, I think, and so small and cute. Generally foxes have more than one kit, so I hope mom and dad and the rest of the kits are well and alive somewhere.

Ottawa River
--My Canada geese for the day emerged from a field on my right, and right behind them a pheasant.
--I saw two woodchucks today, one in the road and one in a field. They are funny when they run because they are built so low to the ground and are so wide, but run they can. Saw one running what seems eons ago now on the Katy Trail, too.
--I  love to pass horses because they lift their heads and stare out of curiosity, some even coming to the fence to see what kind of contraption is passing. I find myself talking to them. Today I passed two shire horses or whatever breed is the big work horse with feathered feet. They were about 15 miles apart and  I'm thinking that one had a foal that was sold to the other owner down the road.
Shire horse on the right. It seems so small in the photo, but was much larger than the other two horses.

--Saw two Red-headed Woodpeckers today. They were together. One was on a telephone wire and the other on the pole. These birds are husband Jeff's favorite woodpeckers. We had a family in our ravine woods for a year or two and then the Red-bellied Woodpeckers drove them off we think. Pileated Woodpeckers also enjoy the ravine woods. The photo below is from the Internet credited by the American Bird Conservancy in 2011 to Greg Lavaty.  


--I used to keep bees, so was interested in the hives below. Mike, this beekeeper, not only kept bees and sold the honey but raised and sold bees. Those small boxes in the foreground are nucs, boxes for raising queen bees.
Bee hives with small queen nucs in the foreground




I got to Upper Sandusky at 2 p.m. and got to my motel at 2:30. When I arrived in Upper Sandusky, I stopped to take a photo of the Upper Sandusky city sign (see below). Suddenly the hotfoot I was experiencing in my right foot became unbearable. I took off my shoe and was standing wincing in my sock foot when a white car pulled alongside.
 "Are you all right?"
"Yes just having a spot of trouble with the nerve in my right foot."
"Well, I own the bike shop in town. If you need anything, I'm here."
"I'm good. But I could use some directions. I'm going to the Comfort Inn way on the other side of town. Can you tell me how to get to Wyandot Road?
 "Sure. Two blocks to the right hang a left and you are on Wyandot."
I thanked him and followed his directions.


When I got to the motel room I found that my sister, Sarah, wanted me to call. She had arranged for a female massage therapist to come to my room for a chair massage and some work on my feet and hands. Great news! . . . but it fell through. The only available massage therapist couldn't make the appointment. Her husband had arrived  home on leave from the military. Their reunion was more important that a massage anyway.

That's all for today. Be sure to scroll through the pix below, and tune in tomorrow when I ride to Norwalk, OH, and spend the night with the parents of a Warm Showers host . . . he cannot be there because he, too, is off on his bike.

Gads, this seems like a steep price for worms that anyone can find at night on their own lawns after a rain. Maybe they are special worms and not nightcrawlers
A beautiful brick farm building in its death throes.
Today I passed through Beaverdam and Gomer. I think the sunshine people need to refurbish their sign.
Another funny name. This is not a good pic of the building but it is an old schoolhouse converted to the Owlsburg Saloon. It was at an intersection  in the middle of nowhere, so I don't know what kind of business it draws.

A wooden farmhouse in its death agony
This was where I stopped to eat lunch from my lunchbox--tuna and crackers--the only place for miles that I could find  to sit down. The sun wasn't a problem because the breezes were cool today.

My cockpit. Note the hospital sticky bandage holding my rearview mirror in place; the electrical tape and rubber washers over the computer button on my left handlebar (so that I can turn the computer on and off but cannot inadvertently push the button and turn off the computer); pinned to my handlebar bag my low-tech compass, which I love; headlight; computer at 30-something miles; and clipped to my brake cable on the right, my map in a plastic bag. I need only flip it up to see my directions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan! Hope you're doing well. You'll prolly be glad to be out of Illinois--the temps have hit 90 degrees!!! Your pics are fabulous as usual, and I am JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS!!! Take care my friend, and happy trails to you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete