11/25/2011

Day 22--Upper Sandusky to Milan, OH

Monday, May 7, 2012

First let me straighten out locations. This morning I left Upper Sandusky at about 8 a.m. Now Upper Sandusky is southwest (below) Sandusky, OH. How it became "Upper" I don't know. If it were truly upper, it would be in Lake Erie because Sandusky is up on Lake Erie about 50 miles to the northeast.

I watched the weather channel this morning while eating breakfast at the motel. It did not look good. Storms, hail, and severe weather predicted to come through south of Chicago, moving to the northeast. Nonetheless, I started out. The wind, thank goodness, was from the SW, but cold. I was comfortable wearing my jacket. That in itself should tell you something.

I got only to Melmore north on OH-67--about 25 miles--before the clouds and wind scared me into racing the storm for shelter. I stopped near a large cemetery and planned to take shelter in a type of memorial chapel in the cemetery if it came down to it. There was fierce wind and enormous rolls of black clouds coming toward me.

I thought of sticking out my thumb, but there was virtually no traffic on OH--67N/E. While I was debating what to do, a woman in a pickup pulled into the cemetery. Her name was Jeannie and she became my ride. Though she lived in Sycamore a few miles south, she drove me all the way to Milan! I bought her a tank of gas (only $25) and she gave me a hug and drove back to Sycamore. I was nervous even in Jeannie's pickup because the sky looked so ominous, but it wasn't until we pulled into the gas station in Milan that the rain bucketed down. Now I tell you, how lucky can a woman get? Really. Another R.A.K. Thank you Jeannie!

I spent some quality time in the corner gas station (one pump) talking to the young guy who owned it, but when the rain let up a bit, I hooked up B.O.B. and changed venues to the Coffee Station across the street. Here I had a biscotti (okay, 2 biscottis) and a cup of coffee. Connie Morscher, the owner was very welcoming and since several of the locals call this place home, I met an interesting group of people. 




I hung out at the Coffee Station for about an hour and a half. When I arrived, it was only noon, and I did not want to impose on the Gray's too early. Justin Gray was to be my Warm Showers host for the evening, but he was not back from Texas, so his parents, Nelson and Ginny were set to host me.

When I got in touch with the Grays, Nelson already knew I was in town. Small town tom toms are loud. He explained that they were expecting me, but he warned me that I was entering a chaotic situation. Ginny's 96-year-old mother had suffered a mild stroke only the day before, and one of the Gray's daughters (they have four daughters and two sons) had come up for her wedding shower and was just leaving to return to TX. Ginny was in the midst of making a wedding quilt and Nelson was making a cherry wedding chest as well as remodeling and renovating their house.

If there had been any motel in the area I would have gone to it, but Nelson insisted that I was welcome. So, when the rain let up, I pedaled to the Gray's house. On the way, I took some pix of Milan's ("My-lan, you are not in Italy you know") square and of the house that Thomas Edison was born in. The Edison Birthplace Museum was closed on Monday so I did not get a chance to visit it. I did visit Milan Inn-tiques, off the square however (see below). I love nosing around in antique and collectible stores.



Milan Town Hall



Pastel buildings on the Milan town square



Milan town square


Thomas Edison's birthplace

When I had hitched up B.O.B. at the gas station, I noticed that one of his hooks that attaches him to the rear hub skewer had become bent a bit (probably from his ride in Jeannie's pickup) and would not allow the pin to be inserted fully. No problem. Nelson took B.O.B. in hand when I got to the farm, whisked him into a vise, and straightened out the hook.
The litle red barn where B.O.B. is spending the night; the white barn is one of those bowing to age. This and the next photo were taken around 5 p.m. when there was sun. Storms are predicted for tonight, but tomorrow there is only a 20% chance of storms . . . and I may have a SW tailwind. Yea!

Ginny has been at the hospital with her mother today, but I will get to meet her this evening when she and I and Nelson will share a meal. In the meantime, I am alone in the house writing up this post while Nelson mows the "back forty," so to speak.
The Gray's beautiful farmhouse

Creating the post has not been the easiest of tasks . . . because I left my prescription glasses in my Comfort Inn room in Upper Sandusky. Darn! This is the only time in 22 days that I have left something behind. I called Ruby at the Comfort Inn front desk and she is overnight expressing the glasses to my Wednesday, Mentor, OH, Warm Showers host, Richard Kandalec.  In the meantime, I'm wearing a pair of drugstore magnifiers that I found on the Gray's computer table.

When Ginny got home, Nelson had dinner well underway. We had sweet potato sticks, asparagus, brussels sprouts, and steak for dinner. I hadn't really earned the meal but it went down easily nonetheless. Thank you Ginny & Nelson for hosting me despite the events that are going on in your lives. You are a hospitable and generous couple.
Ginny & Nelson Gray my surrogate Warm Showers hosts for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment