11/18/2011

Day 29--St Catharines, ONT, Canada


    ·  I and my Canadian cousins David Bloomer, Hansi Tripe, Carolynn Ludwig, and Shelly Bloomer all donated Memory Miles today to the loving memory of their father, Stephen Sheldon Bloomer, a very special person and my maternal uncle. Steve was a “one-er” as the Brits say, and an exceptionally talented artist, musician, and naturalist who had a delightful way of charming children and adults alike. His daughter, Hansi and her husband Rob picked me up yesterday in Buffalo at Front Park on the N.Y. side of the Peace Bridge, and I am enjoying a rest day with them in St Catharines today.

· Valerie Bloodgood sends loving Mother’s Day thoughts in memory of her mother, Yvonne S. Zayat.

· Kay Murphy says Happy Mother’s Day to her mom, Marge Rohl, who resides at Stillwater’s Christian Villa but who, I’m sure, is enjoying dinner with Pat & Kay on this Mother’s Day.

· I also sing Happy Birthday to Valerie Bloodgood’s Aunt Alice Barber who was born May 14th. Happy, happy birthday Alice!

I'm sorry that the Mother's Day wishes above are belated, but the day got away from me yesterday.

Monday May 14, 2012

Rest Day? Yes if one thinks of not riding the bike a rest. Took the bike to the St Catharine's bike shop today because the lower gears were slipping. I've not used the low gears much but will definitely need them for the rest of the ride. This bike shop had no time to fix the bike. Earliest they could get it out to me was Friday! So . . . I called around and took the bike to Clarkson Cycle and Fitness in nearby Thorold where owners Glen Clarkson and Ann Raymondo (see below) fixed me up beautifully. Glen installed a new chain, new derailleur wheel, and straightened the derailleur a bit. I test rode the bike and it was smooth as silk again. Thank you Clarkson Cycle and Fitness! You are a great bike shop and friendly duo.

Ann Raymondo and Glen Clarkson, co-owners of Clarkson Cycle and Fitness, Thorold, ONT.

Rob and I then aired up all tires, including B.O.B.'s, with Canadian air. Wonder if B.O.B. and I will have to declare that when re-entering the States tomorrow morning?

After a ham sandwich lunch, Hansi and I went to her favorite place for a manicure. Thank you Hansi! Then we stopped in a sporting goods store where I bought a lightweight wool Icebreaker underlayer to replace my Under Armor shirt, which bit the dust in a too-hot dryer.  After this we went to Bulk Barn and bought all sorts of fruit, candy, nuts, and peanut butter. Everything in the store, including peanut butter and molasses and the like, was in bulk barrels. I could not resist buying some chocolate-covered coffee beans and some English all-sorts, layered licorice delectables. Then we had a Tim Horton cold drink and a coffee and bought some groceries for dinner, which was BBQ chicken, potato salad, coleslaw, raspberries, and other tasty delights.

In short, I spent a great rest day with my Canadian cousins. Thank you Hansi and Rob Tripe! You two know how to lay on the hospitality . . . and make a mean gin-and-tonic to boot.

Tomorrow  we'll pick up Jessica at the Buffalo Airport. She'll fly in on the red-eye special Monday night and will have until 10 a.m. to get herself and her bike together. Hansi and Rob will drop the two of us in Lockport, NY, around 11 a.m., thus saving us Buffalo and Niagara metro riding. (Boy, am I glad Buffalo is behind me.) From Lockport, we will ride the 53 miles to Spencerport and the Aurora House Hospice where we will spend the night. I will call the Aurora House about 10 miles out. They are eagerly awaiting us and some of the staff may ride out to meet us.

Tune in tomorrow for the excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment