11/15/2011

Day 32--Newark to Weedsport, NY

Thursday, may 17, 2012

We had a very leisurely morning in our Newark apartment because I was scheduled to give a talk to the Newark Rotary at noon. The Rotary meets at the Quality Inn, which was only about a mile from our apartment, so I packed up and zipped to it just before noon while Jessica did some work on her computer and got an even more leisurely start.

I was greeted by the members and executive board of this large Rotary: Dana Marsh, President; Bob Bendix, President Elect; and John Zornow, President Nominee. And, I finally got to meet Malcolm O'Malley, the person at the other end of all the e-mails and calls inviting me to speak and arranging for the occasion. He and I sat together at the end of the head table. The lunch was "comfort food"--meatloaf and gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, carrot cake, iced tea, etc. After the business meeting and announcements, I closed the meeting with my talk. It was a very receptive audience and a good time. Thank you Malcolm for your donation to the Judith Karman Hospice and thank-you all of the Newark Rotary for the opportunity to meet and dine with you. Keep up your wonderful philanthropic work!

Dana, Susan, and Malcolm in the lobby of the Newark Quality Inn




Jess met me at the QI and we got off  shortly after 1 p.m. We had a short day today--the reason I could talk to the Rotary and leave so late--of only 39 miles. Our route for the entire day was NY-31E, though at one point we detoured and rode a stretch of Old 31E. Route 31/Bike Route 5 is peaceful, widely shouldered and little traveled. The temp was cool and the ride wonderfully pleasant. We had been in touch with Bill and Jerri and they told us no rush. They got off work and ate a late meal so no hassle. The extra miles to their house were up-hilly, so tomorrow we will have a blast rolling down to NY-34 and then back to 31/Bike Route 5 again.


A 1963 muscle car for Joel Langdon


I'm getting a little worried about crossing the Berkshires because my hip will not allow me steep climbs. I was off the bike several times today pushing it up over the tops of hills that in the past would have been no challenge at all. But . . . as I've said before, whatever the obstacle, I'll find a way to conquer it. I'm trying not to be ashamed of walking when I have to . . . but find I still am. Silly.

At one point today we came down a long swooping downhill to find ourselves on a long stretch of flat road between plowed fields. The road here was rough and we had a strong headwind, so this short stretch was taxing. It ended at a bridge over the Seneca River. The river was very wide here. I did not realize that the Seneca was so large. We stopped for a bite of trail mix and pix.





When we got to Weedsport, we stopped in a pizza place and each had a slice of pizza, and then explored this quaint little canal town and bought a few supplies. Then we biked to the Field's house. Once again, we were met with the utmost in hospitality. We took showers, washed our clothes, and enjoyed a great cook-out type dinner of dogs and burgers, potato salad, deviled eggs, fresh fruit, etc. Then both of us got on our computers and clicked the keyboards trying to catch up on our correspondance and journaling.


A mural on an old Erie Canal bridge abutment drawn by Dawn Jordon who decided on a four-car passenger train standing for the four freedoms Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke of in his 1941 State of the Union address: Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from want, and freedom from fear. In the train windows are Weedsport citizens who donated $25 each to have their portrait painted in one of the windows.

Tune in tomorrow when we ride to Bridgeport and meet Judy Barrett, the woman with whom I rode the Danube River in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment