11/10/2011

Day 36--Schenectady to Kingston, NY

Monday, May 21, 2012

In a rental car, not on the bike.

Today I learned of the following donors:

Tom & Mary Carroll, brother Phil and sister-in-law Lois's good friends, "for Susan’s Birthday"; Susan Jaeckle, in memory of my mom, Catherine Morgan; Ted & Candice Moore, the couple that I met way back in Nevada, MO.; Macie Christ, “Go girl go!”;Abbie Walther, daughter Jessica’s good friend and a woman much admired by Jeff and me, also.
    Thank you Tom & Mary, Susan, Ted & Candice, Macie, and Abbie! The nurses at the Judith Karman hospice thank you also. You are helping me top $15,000 and we're getting close.

We got up this morning and enjoyed great scrambled eggs with broccoli, smoked salmon, and some good Mexican cheese; sprouted bread toast; strawberries and papaya; and good coffee. Tami's 13-year-old daughter Maya cooked the breakfast egg combo and it was exceptional. Then Jess ran to a bike store to get a box and I packed up. When Jess got back we loaded the car. Jess managed to get both bike and B.O.B. into the trunk and out of sight.

I had called the realtor and he agreed to meet us at Andy Schuyler's house and show us the interior. The interior is over-the-top beautiful . . .with the exception of the basement which was full of water when the river flooded last year. The people had flood insurance so everything in the basement is new and nice, but it is nonetheless a 100-year old stone basement. Though they had it treated for mold and mildew, it still smelled a bit mildewy.  Tami took a few pix of Jess and me before the house, and I will insert them here when I receive them. Good-bye and thank you Kaaren, Tami, and Maya!


Since this is my vacation as well as my birthday, Jessica rented a car yesterday evening. Our plan is to celebrate my birthday today with good food and relaxation and "catch up"-- thank you notes, blog, business Jess is working on, etc. We are in Kingston in a Holiday Inn, doing just that after a great fun lunch at Egg's Nest in High Falls, NY, recommended to us by Tami. It is raining hard and has been for most of the day so this is a good day off.
The egg in its nest


Jess with her South Beach Cosmo

Susan enjoying her South Beach Cosmo

I'm having a memorable birthday and thank all of you who called and sent cards and birthday wishes. I especially want to thank the nurses at the Judith Karman Hospice who called and sang Happy Birthday to me over the phone. I was touched. Today at the Egg's Nest, Jess told the waitress that it was my 70th birthday. I only half jokingly told the waitress that if she and the staff gathered round to sing happy birthday to me, she would not get a tip. At the end of the meal, she quietly brought a whipped cream-topped flan with one lit candle in it and slipped it before me whispering: "Shh! I didn't say anything. Happy Birthday."

My Birthday flan . . .after Jess and I dug in

Tomorrow we plan on spending the day at Lake Mohonk Mountain House, where I worked after high school. This is an exceptional, historical, Quaker resort in the Shawangunk Mountains (The Gunks) outside of New Paltz, NY.
Internet photo of Lake Mohonk Mountain House
Then we will explore the Catskills for a bit and drive leisurely to Northampton, MA, where we will both spend the night. Jess will leave the next day to return to Schenectady to box her bike (she left her bike, B.O.B. Jangles and the bike box with Kaaren) and fly back to CA. This will cut two days of riding, transport me over much of the Berkshires, but keep me on schedule.

Tune in tomorrow for a report of our adventures.

Susan



No comments:

Post a Comment