12/30/2011

Donations to the Engine

March 3, 2012

Today I received in my home mail a $200 check from Mary Anne Trevey. This money was donated to me for "your expenses on the road." Mary Anne is my sister Sarah Schuyler's boss and the owner of the Mariposa Market, a wonderful natural foods store in Willits, California. I met Mary Anne for the first time 12 years ago. She had generously loaned Sarah her pickup so that Sarah could cross the coastal mountains to Fort Bragg to pick up my daughter, Jessica, and me and our bicycles. We had been cycling the coast from Vancouver to Point Reyes Station, CA, but Jess took a tumble on Leggett Hill and our ride ended in the Fort Bragg ER. I've met Mary Anne again briefly several times since then, but this donation and Mary Anne's thoughtfulness were totally unexpected. Thank you Mary Anne. You are a generous and thoughtful woman!

In the same vein, today I received an e-mail from Ann MacMillan, another of my sister's acquaintances who lives in Willits, California. I have never met Ann, but have heard many good things about this 88-year old woman. Ann wanted to "donate an expensive room to Sarah's sister," so the email confirmed a reservation at the Inn at the Stone Mill in Little Falls, NY. The reservation is for a suite with a jacuzzi bath, refrigerator, microwave, and view of the Mohawk River. It sounds fantastic, even from this distance, and I know it will be heavenly after a day of cycling. Thank you very much Ann. Yours is a wonderfully thoughtful gesture.

And thank you to the Inn at the Stone Mill who gave Ann a 20% discount when they heard about my charity ride, and to David, who made the reservation and said:  "Send me some promo stuff a little before her arrival and I’ll make sure something gets in the newspaper."

See what I mean about random acts of kindness (R.A.K.s). They are happening before I even set foot to pedal on my charity ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment