12/07/2011

Day 10--Fayette to Moberly, MO

Cousin Hansi Bloomer Tripe donated Memory Miles today in fond memory of Stephen Sheldon Bloomer, her father (and my favorite uncle), and in memory of her father's mother, Grandmother [Lydia] Bloomer. Hansi chose Moberly, MO, because it looked like a lonely day of riding to this small Missouri town and she wanted me to think of Steve, who moved his young family to St Louis, MO, in the early 50s and started a career in TV when he became 'The Finder' on public television KETC.

'The Finder' traveled, explored, and collected interesting bits of the natural world, and what he found, he brought back to the studio for his young audience to see. Periodically, 'The Finder' organized expeditions also. A series of preparatory programs might be followed, for instance, with a tour of a farm or the exploration of a Huck-Finn-type cave along the Mississippi.

In 1956, Steve moved his young family from St Louis to Montreal, Canada, where he lived until his death in 2005. He was able to balance his careers as illustrator and art director AND return to TV where he shared his love of nature with the Canadian public as host of CBC's "This Living World." Steve's diverse talents culminated in his last extended gig--sharing his passion as an instructor in the Fine Arts Department of John Abbott College.

Of her Grandmother Bloomer Memory Miles, Hansi says: “I have great, fond memories of the times Grandmother made the trip to Missouri to visit us. I had the double bed—so always got to share with Grandmother on her visits. She and I would sit up in bed and “work” the crossword puzzle out of her puzzle book. She let me bring her a cup of coffee in the morning, telling me to use enough cream to ‘make it a pretty color.’ I always knew what that looked like.

I will remember Steve and Grandmother Lydia again because I and others of the family have donated Memory Miles to them on various other significant days of the ride.

Wednesday, April 26, 2012

Well, let me tell you a little secret. Subway sandwiches are n.g. for breakfast. My sandwich, which was crisp and fresh last night went the night unrefrigerated and was soggy and dreadful this morning. Took a couple of bites and then ditched it.

I went to bed at 9 p.m. last night after taking a Celebrex tablet for my tricky hip. It must have  worked because I was up early this a.m., packed, and on the road by 7:30. I heard all sorts of sirens going by the motel as I was packing. About a mile or two from the motel I came upon the reason for the sirens. Toward the top of a hill, two cars had crashed, one was on its side blocking the road. State troopers, ambulance, local police, and firefighters were all there. I hope it was not a fatality accident, but it looked bad.

The Silver Bell Motel, Fayette, MO

I traveled on MO-240/MO-5N only four-and-a-half miles before I turned on MO-3N a much quieter farm-to-market type road with beautiful old two-story farmhouses on it and many personal farms, not the corporate farms I've encountered in places.


For the most part, the farms were immaculately kept with grass mowed up the the barn and out buildings, iris blooming in the yards. I didn't get a shot of a barn today as it was cloudy and spit a few drops of rain on me in the morning. I placed my camera and cell phone in a plastic bag in my handlebar bag and it was too much of a chore to get it out. The photo below is of a barn a few days back.

This farm is actually off the Katy Trail between Sedalia and New Franklin I think


Methodist church on MO-3


Got to Moberly at about ten o'clock. My elevation profile shows a peak at mile 25 and then a constant uphill into the city. I hauled out the camera and tried to capture the top of the hill when I entered Moberly (see below) but the picture doesn't capture the slog. The hill, while not steep, was very long. When I thought I was finally at the top, the road curved to the left and continued up for another quarter mile or so.

Trying to show the top of the hill into Moberly; notice the narrow paved shoulder, also
When I got to the Moberly Super 8, I was greeted by Kim Sorrels, the motel manager, who has looked after my every need and then some. I feel as though I am visiting relatives rather than staying in an impersonal motel. Kim is a great example of the hospitality shown me by complete strangers. When the motel turned out not to have a guest laundry, Kim did my laundry in the motel machines. When the nearby Walmart was some distance away, Kim told me that she'd drive me to it. I declined. After all, I must draw the line somewhere to maintain my self-respect.

Kim Sorrels, super manager of the Moberly, MO, Super 8

Just after I stepped out of the shower, Kim called to say that there was a reporter at the front desk wanting to interview me. This was Connie Duvall of the Moberly Monitor-Index. Since I was still in a sweat, she returned after lunch and we conducted the interview in the lobby. Connie took a couple of photos, and I imagine the story will run in tomorrow's edition. Shortly after the interview, Brennen Holtzclaw of KRES (104.7 am) called and interviewed me on the air over the phone.

I ate lunch at nearby Funny Pages Cafe, a cute little place which is set to celebrate its grand opening in this location in a couple of days. The interior is decorated with Bugs, and Sylvester, the Jetsons, etc., and has chrome stools and a 50's look. I had a tuna sandwich on toasted whole wheat and a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Comfort food, you know.

Moberly easily takes the prize for most welcoming city yet. Thank you Moberly Super 8, Moberly Chamber of Commerce, Moberly radio station KRES, and Moberly Monitor-Index! I'll be singing your praises for days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment