12/26/2011

Halfway Hooray!

March 24, 2012

Another fantastic day in
Margaritaville!

On Friday, March 23rd, we hit the HALFWAY MARK IN DONATIONS! I know we are going to  reach my goal! Actually we're well over the halfway mark in donated funds, thanks to the generous support of Stillwater Chiropractic Group, and The Railroad Yard, Inc. two new Bronze sponsors; and three additional donors Dr. Mark Paden, my husband's and my orthopedic physician; Helen Jordan, long time Payne County Audubon member, supporter, and superb BIRDATHON fundraiser, and the bighearted contribution of Clara Sterrett. THANK YOU Clara, Mark, Helen and Stillwater Chiropractic Group, and The Railroad Yard, Inc.!

Also on Friday at the invitation of Lisa Smith, Judith Karman Hospice Director, I spoke to the Stillwater Rotary about the ride. While I spoke, slides of some of my previous long-distance rides were looping in the background. This was an interested group, with a couple of cyclists in the mix, so my talk quickly became a Q & A:  How many miles per day will you average? (50). What about the weather? (I've O2 rain jacket and pants and will take shelter from storms where I can find it.) Are you going  to have SAG support? (No, this one I ride unsupported and solo.) How many days will it take you? (42 with 4 rest days in the mix) Are you going to camp? (No. I will overnight with Warm Showers hosts, a cycle touring group that provides a bed and shower to other touring cyclists; in complimentary motel rooms; with hosts from civic groups such as the Rotary; at hospices; and with friends and relatives.) What if you have a mechanical problem on the road? (I can fix many simple mechanical problems, and I have bought from the Better World Club roadside assistance for bicyclists similar to Triple-A.) How will you make yourself visible on the road? (I will be pulling a B.O.B. trailer that has a spot for a tall flag. Last week I took some hunter's orange fabric to a screen printing shop and they created a flag for the top of the standard that shows the JKH logo and has "Heartland to Harbor for Hospice" printed on it. Some time back I ordered small flags of each of the 11 states I will ride through. These will fly below the orange Heartland to Harbor for Hospice flag.)

In addition, to speaking to the Stillwater Rotary on Friday, I met my BFF, Sue Jones, for a farewell get together, and she gave me a sweet note and $50 "on the road" spending money. Thank you Sue!

Speaking of "on the road" I am on it. In my car. Actually I am in a fusty little Budget Inn at the mo in Colfax, Louisiana (I think) . . . somewhere off Hwy 71S north of Alexandria, LA, at any rate. I drove 600+ miles today, mainly because there ain't nuttin here. Just cypress swamps, small churches set back in the pines, the occasional small business, and farms. This was the only motel for miles and miles.

Tomorrow I should reach Port Sulphur on the Gulf Coast south of New Orleans in good time to unpack at the Earthwatch Research Station and bicycle the levee system for a bit before rolling up the sleeves for a week of helping Earthwatch scientists determine the affects of the Gulf oil spill on wintering loons.

I'll keep the blog updated and will report and even include some pix of loons and the research we are doing. You all please hold up your end by continuing to promote and donate to the Heartland to Harbor for Hospice bicycle ride, all proceeds to benefit Stillwater Judith Karman Hospice nurse education.

I will get back on April 1st and then have only two weeks before ride start. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment