12/19/2011

April 15th Send-Off Ride

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The day dawned bright, clean, and super windy after two days of strong storms, hail, and tornadoes. The perfect day for the Send-Off Ride we planned for the Sunday before my actual departure because most will be working tomorrow morning at 6:30 a.m. That's the time I expect to pull out of the drive on the first day of my adventure.

About a dozen hospice staff and cyclists met at the Judith Karman offices (see below) for a piece of delicious carrot cake and a glass of fruit punch, both made by Valerie Bloodgood, my JKH liaison and ride coordinator.

Mary Cash presented me with a card and bon voyage gift from the Red Dirt Pedalers: a $125 Walmart gift card, two Grease Monkey Wipes, and two Chamois Butt'r packets. Very very thoughtful gifts for the engine. The card read: "Thank you for all the years of Wheel Issues, the best newsletter in the state of Oklahoma!"  For those of you who are not from Stillwater, I was editor-in-chief of Wheel Issues, The Red Dirt Pedalers Bicycle Club monthly newsletter for 13 years. I had to discontinue editorship when I took on two other newsletters and the role of webmistress for the local Audubon group. Thank you all my Red Dirt Pedalers friends! 

JKH Nurse Barbara also had a gift for the engine: two pkgs of granola bars and a pkg of small boxed raisins. Love both of these treats on my shade stops. Thank you Barbara and all the nurses at the hospice. You are delightful people and hard workers.

Love this pic. The shadow of the JKH awning makes my bicycle pop out of the photo. From L: Leroy Smith, husband of JKH Executive Director Lisa (white skirt); daughter Lucy; me; with my ultra-short haircut for the ride; Valerie enjoying holding a chihuahua puppy; Kathy Legako, a Red Dirt Pedalers bicycle club member and friend who will SAG me to Pawhuska tomorrow; Carl Hamby, Kathy's husband; Lisa Smith; Kevin Mussett, originator of the 2009 C2C cross-country ride; Lea, JKH Bereavement Coordinator; and Mary Cooper Cash, owner of Cooper's Bicycle Center. Not shown are Gladeen, Kathy, Billie, and Barbara, JKH staff; and Jay Criswell, Stillwater Public Library cataloger and friend.




Check back tomorrow to see how the first day of the ride goes.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment