12/11/2011

Day 6--Nevada to Clinton, MO

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Slept like a log, but was up before 7 organizing my gear and repacking B.O.B. Frank was already in the kitchen baking the breakfast casserole and baking-powder biscuits. I'm definitely going to have to turn down these fast-forwards and cut back on my calorie intake or I'll soon look like a blimp.

Frank, Vickie, and I enjoyed a very nice breakfast and then I gathered my gear, my cell, and my water bottles out of the fridge, and loaded them into the van. Frank was going to fast-forward me again, this time north on US-71, a four-lane divided highway that has a shoulder but is being revamped to meet Interstate specs and will be an Interstate by next year. His fast-forward would cut my planned 74-mile day virtually in half. I arrived in Clinton with 37.07 miles on my odometer.

Me posing with roadside kitsch--a large morel mushroom alongside US-71 N


























The drama for the day occurred when we got to MO-D. (Missouri has what I like to call
Alphabet Soup county roads with letters rather than numbers.) There was a nice commuter parking lot, so we unloaded and hooked up the trailer. Frank wanted to take a photo of my departure, so I obliged and then started down the road. I didn't get 20 feet before I realized that I was riding with no gloves or helmet! It took me another two seconds to realize with a sinking feeling that I'd left them in my bedroom at the Briscoe's. DAY-M! What a fool I felt, especially since Vickie had reminded me to check one last time, which I did but missed the helmet which was on the floor and out of sight. A friend of mine once told me that all my grey cells had gone to my hair, and at times like this, I believe it.

Missouri's alphabet roads. I rode D for about 10 miles before turning on BB




























Fortunately, Frank had not left the parking lot when I returned. He called Vickie and she met him half way with my helmet and gloves. While I was waiting for him to return, I reorganized my trailer and checked the bike. Good thing I did. The front wheel was not secure in the fork, the quick release open. I've not removed the front wheel since the ride began, so wonder how that happened. Probably in one of the many times it's been flung into the back of a pickup. When I am finished with this blog entry I plan to make myself a "before departure" checklist.

Frank in van returning with my helmet


























Frank and Vickie Briscoe were the consummate hosts, providing SAG support, help with routes, a fantastic dinner with great guests, delicious food, even a pair of cycling socks.
And a sense of humor and a lot of patience when ding-dong here forgot her helmet. Thank you both for a warm and wonderful stay! I will be sure to give you a high rating on the Warm Showers site.

The route today was gorgeous and so was the weather. I had a mild tailwind and motored along sometimes at over 24 mph, getting to Clinton at 2:10 p.m. Showered and cleaned up and then walked across the street to Walmart. Bought some snacks and items for dinner as well as a new bundle of white washcloths for my wrist mop. Thank you Red Dirt Pedalers for your Walmart gift card!

Today was the most comfortable, best day of riding so far. I think I'm getting some muscle, so the hills were no problem. The road was two-lane and very little traveled. There was a 4-mile section of MO-BB that was lumpy and rough, but all-in-all a great ride. I took my usual pix of barns. See below.



I am staying at the Parkfield Inn, manager Karen Duggins having graciously provided me with a complimentary room for two nights. Thank you Karen! The Inn is immaculate and the room a gem. Tomorrow I have a rest day but may keep the muscles in shape by riding to a nearby town with an odd name. Tune in tomorrow to find out the name of this mystery town.


No comments:

Post a Comment