12/29/2011

Update on Donations and Training

March 5, 2012

A huge thank you to this week's donors: Mr. & Mrs. Paul Porter; Spirit Bank; Fred & Barbara Shultz; Richard Giles; Becky Irby; Cory & Shannon Williams; Ann & Eddie Watkins; Joy Sanders; Karen McBee; Iris McPherson, a longtime Payne County Audubon member and friend; and Kevin Mussett of A &M Storage, a fellow cyclist, cycling advocate, and longtime friend. I will ride in memory of Kevin's mother, Bonnie Mussett, on the first day of my ride.

A sincere thank you to all who donated! Your donations have helped me surpass the one-third mark of my $10,000 fundraising goal and I still have nearly a month-and-a-half before I pedal. I know I can reach this goal, particularly if some clinics, companies, and businesses I've asked get behind this cause with a sponsorship. Won't your company or business please sponsor this very worthwhile fundraising effort? Remember:  Because the Judith Karman hospice is a non-profit, all sponsorships and donations are tax deductible.

Valerie & Dean Bloodgood made several spring/Easter donations this week. They donated in memory of Valerie's uncle Raymond Zayat who died May 24th. They also made birthday donations honoring Betty Bloodgood Secker, Dean's sister, whose birthday is April 18th; Alice Barber, Valerie's aunt, whose birthday is coming up May 14th, and even as a birthday surprise to me, Susan S. Walker, whose birthday is May 21st. Thank you Valerie and Dean Bloodgood!

Valerie is my coordinator at the Judith Karman Hospice and is helping me train also. She pedals a recumbent, a bicycle that some call a two-wheeled lawn chair because of the rider's laid back position. But, while these low bikes are comfortable and go like the wind downhill, the laid back position can make climbing a bit of a chore. I live 8 miles east of Stillwater, and Valerie thinks of all sorts of creative reasons for me to pedal to and around town with her (I'd like you to meet so and so, I have two tickets to. . ., can you come for an interview, you've got to try this new restaurant, let's go to the Farmers' Market, etc.) I'm not complaining. I love having a reason to ride and Valerie's company; dislike just putting in training miles.

Valerie and I rode to Tulsa this past Sunday, about 60-some miles. Temps were in the 70s and I got sunburned on my right side that was inadequately protected with sunscreen. Arrived in Tulsa pretty much beat, so must train hard my remaining days before departure. I'm still training with my B.O.B. bike trailer, and he's still carrying 30 lbs of bird seed and causing me to call him bad names on the up-side of hills. But on Sunday he decided to talk back and squeaked and squealed the whole way. Today, daughter Lucy and Isilenced him forever (I hope) with rubber washers and shims.

Will update when I learn more. . .
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment