12/08/2011

Day 9--Sedalia to Fayette, MO

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What a day!  Started out from the Sedalia Super 8 at 8:30 a.m. I had a 55-mile day and wanted to beat the heat. Got tangled up a bit in Sedalia because a street I was supposed to turn on was closed. Got that sorted out and eventually stopped at the Katy Trail Depot (see Internet photo below). The Depot contained a museum, store, and information center. I explored it for a bit and then continued on through the city until I came to the trailhead five miles later. By this time it was 9 a.m. 



The brickwork around the Depot was from Coffeyville, KS. I have these same bricks in a walkway at my Stillwater, OK house. It was my understanding that the bricks came from Coffeyville's brick streets which were replaced with a cement surface. If so Coffeyville had many or wide brick streets! 


Ride the trail for a bit with me through the pix below. I snapped a photo whenever something like a bridge or rock outcropping popped up.






I stopped in Pilot Grove for lunch 27 miles after entering the trail. Searched the little town for a Subway, but didn’t find one. The only place that seemed to be open was a bar and grill. Their door was open and when I asked where I could find a sandwich, the woman behind the bar told me to come in, they served sandwiches. The place was dark with a long bar on one side and small booths opposite it. All but one booth, the one in the very back of the room, was taken by men. The barkeep and I were the only women in the place. The men paid me no heed. They were busy talking about hunting and work. I had a cheeseburger, fries, and a large lemonade—an unusual lunch for me, but there was little else on the menu that wasn’t battered or fried.

KatyTrail crossing over I-70


Two very contented cows in a field of flowers

Motored on to Booneville where one rides city streets for a bit and then crosses the Missouri River on a long bridge. I walked the entire bridge because when seated on the bike I felt insecure looking over the low railing. Those of you who know me know that I am a height as well as a heat wienie. (Actually I think all this weight-bearing walking plus my heavy lunch precipitated events to come.) At the other side of the bridge, I picked up the Katy Trail again and rode it to New Franklin.





The wind was out of the south, so after I turned onto 5N, I had a tailwind. Life was good until about 4 miles outside of Fayette when the heat zapped me. Suddenly I had no energy! I found myself walking the tops of some hills. I finally dragged myself into Fayette, and up a hill to the corner of MO-5N and MO-240, the address of the Silver Bell Motel . . . but there was no motel there. I asked directions to the motel from a family near the intersection. When they told me it was a mile and a half or so farther up the road, I went into meltdown. (I have since learned that I must wait an hour or more after eating a big meal [lunch hamburger etc.] to allow for digestion. I can no longer simultaneously pedal, digest a big or heavy meal, and stay cool.)

This kind family saw my exhaustion and had me sit on their front steps in the shade, offered a cold drink, even a granola bar. When they asked what I was going to eat as there was nothing out by the motel or at the motel, I muttered something about making do with my lunch box. However, when Fayette's eating options included a Subway, I perked up.  R.A.K. #4 occurred when the woman decided to have subs for dinner that night and asked her husband to load my bike and B.O.B. into his truck and drive to the Subway in town and then out to the motel. I offered to pay for their subs with my card, but they would have none of it. Thank you to a wonderful Missouri couple! 

The motel, one of the few non-chains that I’m staying at simply because there is nothing else, was comped to me by the owner on February 23, but since then had changed owners I guess . . . so I paid for my room. Certainly not a room rate that would break the bank. I think I am the only guest. My room is small and neat and seemingly clean but smells of mildew. At first I thought that there was no shower or tub. All the tiny bathroom seemed ot offer was a sink and toilet. Eventually I found a small shower stall behind the bathroom door.

I cannot get on the Internet--no fault of the motel's but something with my computer--so will post this Day 9 blog tomorrow from Moberly.
Notice that this motel is just north of the Fayette city limits

I am still a noodle even as I type this. Good night, Irene. Short day tomorrow so will be up and out early to beat the heat. Tune in tomorrow.                    Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment